Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Week Ahead...

As I'm sitting here working on my plans for this week...I realize that it's going to be a REALLY easy week for me...and at the same time I'm not going to get much accomplished with my classes!

Monday: Veterans Day, day off of school.
Tuesday: Full day of classes, K-3
Wednesday: My day off in the cycle
Thursday & Friday: NYSATA Conference!

Since I am going to the conference at the end of the week, I will have a sub.  I haven't been able to start my complementary sculpture project with my 5th grade yet and I don't think I can have the sub do it either...they will be bonkers just because there is a sub in the room!  Drawing assignment it is!

Actually, Mrs. Deleel, the elementary counselor, and I are doing a "Random Acts of Kindness" program for November and into December.  As this goes along with our OLWEUS anti-bullying stuff and the character traits of the month, I am going to have her come in and present what this is to all the kids.

We are also going to do a pennies war among the teachers and students. Each grade level will have a jar to fill.  Pennies are worth positive points, silver coins are worth negative points.  In order to try and "win" the competition, you must put your silver coins in other grade level buckets.  We are going to offer a movie with popcorn to the winning grade level, unless the teachers win.  If the teachers win, I think we might make the kids dress up like their teachers for the day!

The money we raise from the pennies war will go the local humane societies.  As Mrs. Deleel and I are MAJOR animal lovers, we figure it's a good way to show a random act of kindness.  The students will be doing something for someone, in this case the animals, without expecting something in return.

After she presents the information to the kids, I will have the Kindergarten and 1st graders draw animal pictures to hang at the humane society (which will be good for the 1st grade as the unit we are doing right now is drawing animals with shape), and the older kids who should be starting new projects will do Random Acts of Kindness posters to hang around school...

I think that will work!

4 comments:

  1. My school uses OLWEUS also. I think we have a lot we can talk about at the conference! I see you are out on Thursday - you are going to the Pre-Conference? Good for you! We are arriving late Thursday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I plan to go to the Pre-Conference and then I am going to leave Saturday night. I didn't feel right taking the expensive hotel room for three nights when the other art teacher from my district isn't going. Maybe next year I will stay for the entire time if I set enough of my budget aside for it. Can't wait to meet you!

      Delete
    2. It's at least a 4-1/2 hour drive for me, so leaving Saturday night is never a good option, especially since my older eyes no longer like night driving when it is not necessary. Saturday night is always fun, anyway. Are you signed up for any Friday After Dark workshop?

      Delete
    3. I signed up for the "Going Green" workshop on Friday night. It will probably be a 3-3 1/2 hour drive for me to Rochester.

      Delete